4 Reasons to Read The Canon of Medicine by Avicenna

Image result for the canon of medicine by ibn sina

  • The Canon of Medicine can teach you just as much about history as it does medicine. Ibn Sina wrote this book during the Islamic Golden Age, which was around the 8th to 14th centuries. This book specifically was written during the early years of the 11th century. This book was so successful and accurate that it was used in universities around Europe until 6 centuries after Ibn Sina's death. However, this book can also be a primary source when it comes to analyzing the time period of the Golden Age of Islam as well as the change in medical knowledge over time. By looking at this book and comparing the information presented or the explanations given for certain phenomena with our modern-day understandings of these topics, we see that doctors and physicians during Avicenna's time were actually not wrong. Something interesting which piqued my interest was that while the methods used to treat certain problems were accurate, such as massages for muscle soreness, the book would not state the actual reason for why it occurs. It seems as though medicine at that time was less about understanding the human body and more about curing the many different ailments that had bothered people for centuries. This was actually the reason I checked out this book originally. It was going to be a source for my history project, but not because of the medical knowledge in it. I was going to use it for comparing and contrasting the scholar and the intellectual developments made then and how they affected current day medicine. Overall, this book can serve as a valuable tool to understand the intellectual landscape of Avicenna's time.
  • Avicenna wrote the book in a way that does not make it difficult to understand, like most medical textbooks from his time. I was personally taken aback when I started reading the translation as it was far clearer and easier to understand than I had thought it to be. Last year, I had read Copernicus' On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres. It was originally written in Latin, so it too was translated. However, the translation was still very complex and required re-reading sections multiple times to truly understand what was going on. Most people would attribute this to the translation, but I found through many book reviews that this was a consistent view that many people shared. But this book surprised me in a good way, since reading the book becomes more casual and relaxing than reading Copernicus' work.
  • The book contains lots of information while also being a relatively quick read. Because of the aforementioned point, The Canon of Medicine can be read far faster than most books of its size and "genre." However, it strays away from this trend by being relatively easy to pick up and read through in a short timespan. The book also contains a massive amount of information, acting as a summary of practically all the medical knowledge at that time. This equates to around a good amount of courses at a modern medical school if you really want to learn the subject. Now, I am not claiming this book will make you a doctor, but you will know significantly more knowledgeable about the human body and its ailments. 
  • Finally, the book was written by Ibn Sina, one of the most important scholars to date. I would personally put him on the levels of classic figures of antiquity, such as Aristotle or Plato. His book feels like an essential for anyone interested in his medical and scientific interests. Just like how I would recommend The Dialogues of Plato as a must-read for anyone who is even remotely interested in philosophy, I recommend The Canon of Medicine as a must-read for anyone who is even remotely interested in medicine or the history of medicine. This book has a lot of history behind it, being the primary textbook for medical schools in Europe for over 6 centuries. Overall, it is a very important book and it is a classic piece of medical history.






Comments

  1. I found your review of The Canon of Medicine interesting to read. I actually also was considering this books and excerpts from it for my history project as well. I liked how you read deeper into it and said that it doesn't just teach medicine, but also history, and it is essential for people to read. I found it interesting that you described it as a quick easy read which is abnormal for this type of book. I think the format was slightly hard to understand, maybe if you made headings for each point it would be easier to understand. I doubt anyone will just read this for fun as its a textbook, but I thought it was a well written recommendation for anyone studying this topic

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it's interesting that you decided to review a book that you were going to use for your World History project. Because you were originally going to do that in combination with your previous background knowledge, you are able to make a lot of comparisons between the book and current books. I also like how you pointed out that it was used in schools for a very long time because that further reinforced your argument that the book is a good read. You also analyze the book well, saying that the book shows how to cure ailments but doesn't explain the cures which suggests the purpose of medicine at the time. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked how you incorporated aspects of your history project into this blog post, because I thoroughly enjoyed reading it. The Canon of Medicine is book I have heard brought up in conversations many times before, and I had never looked into reading it until now, especially since medicine is something that interests me. I also appreciate how you brought up that this book is a primary source, and it's age. I find that very fascinating. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have noticed that you have a tendency to pick non-fiction books and textbooks (tensors). I found your point about the medicine or method working and not worrying about how it works. It makes sense because if it works, what else do you need. But because of new technology we can now understand why many medical techniques work and help us find techniques for other things. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it's great that you compared Ibn Sina with other famous philosphers such as Plato and Aristotle, while also stating how the book is easy to read and understand. Your blog post targets all kinds of readers, wheter they are interested in philosophy, medicene, or history in general. This looks like an amazing read and I can't wait for you to talk about it in your history project.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think that you did a great job explaining what the book was about and why we should read it. I like how you explained how it is easy to read, as well as to understand, and how it was written by a fairly important person. I also appreciate how you included that the book had information about the history about medicine, as that is something that truly intrigues me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds very interesting and educational. I bet you could have used it as a source for the semester-long history project. Due to the fact that this book is easy to understand and that I am not a medical professional, I feel like there is a chance I would learn a lot from this book. Even though I am unfamiliar with Ibn Sina, I feel like I should check out this book.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Why You Should Read On the Revolutions of the Heavenly Spheres